You can give your mobile phone, phone number and contract to another person or a company that will continue to use the service and accept legal responsibility for paying the bills. We call this changing ownership of your phone.
We also call it changing ownership when you switch from a prepaid service to a monthly plan.
You won't pay a penalty fee for transferring ownership of your phone to someone else, even if you have a contract. All monthly and prepaid plans can be transferred. However, if you had per-second billing, it won't be possible to carry it over to the new subscriber.
You can correct the name of the account holder, either because your name is spelled wrong or you’ve legally changed your name (individual or company).
To change ownership:
- Ensure your account balance is up to date.
- Must have been an active Bell Mobility customer for at least six months.
- Before providing your phone to the new subscriber, be sure to clear it of all personal information.
- Contact us with the new subscriber. You should both be ready to complete the change of ownership.
Tip: if the new subscriber is not with you, provide customer service with their phone number, so they can complete the transfer all at once.
Note: you are responsible for the usage and paying the bill until the transfer of responsibility is accepted and completed under the new subscriber's name.
- Before calling, the new subscriber must confirm that the person whose account they are taking over has called in to authorize the change, or the change cannot be completed.
- If the new subscriber has or had an account with Bell Mobility, the balance must be up to date.
- If the new subscriber doesn’t already have an account with Bell, we will need to do a credit check and will require 2 of the following pieces of ID: Date of birth or driver's license number; valid credit card number or social insurance number.
- Contact us.
- To switch ownership between two existing monthly accounts (phones and phone numbers), we charge a one-time fee of $45 per phone and bill each new subscriber on their first invoice.
- If you want to change the ownership of your monthly account and the new customer wants to switch to Prepaid service, we'll charge a one-time charge of $50 per account, which includes a start-up credit of $15 valid for 60 days from the transfer date.
- There is no service charge for changing ownership between two Prepaid accounts, since we don't require a credit check.
Good to know
- If you have a security deposit on your account, it will be applied automatically towards any outstanding balance and a refund will be issued by cheque (within 4 to 6 weeks) or by credit card (within 10 business days) depending on the way you originally paid.
- The new subscriber can choose to keep the same phone number or change the number.