If you activated a line on a Google Pixel 3a / 3a XL, Pixel 4 or Pixel 4 XL, Bell has reserved an eSIM for your phone.
Before you begin: make sure that your Google Pixel has been updated to Android Q (10) and that it is connected to Wi-Fi or mobile data.
- Go to Settings.
- Select Network & Internet.
- Select the + button beside Mobile Network.
- Select Don’t have a SIM card?.
- Select Next to download the eSIM.
- Select Activate.
Note: if prompted to confirm your network, select Bell as the network.
Google Pixel Dual SIM FAQs
What rate plans are available for the two lines?
- The first line can be on any Bell Mobility rate plan and the second line can be activated on a Bring Your Own Device rate plan. You can choose to have a voice and text plan or a voice and data plan on either line.
I have two phone numbers with Bell Mobility, on two separate devices. Can I move one of my phone numbers to an eSIM so that I have both phone numbers on one smartphone?
- At this moment, this is not possible.
How do I tell which phone number I’m using?
Upon activating your eSIM second line, you will receive a message on your device recommending that you create your own label for each line. To do so, follow the steps below:
- Go to Settings > Network & Internet
- Touch the pencil icon beside the label you would like to edit.
- Enter the new label.
When you make and receive calls, as well as send and receive text messages, the smartphone will identify each line by the name you have chosen. Compatible apps will also display different colours for each line.
How can I transfer my existing Bell eSIM to a new Dual SIM device?
- Transfer your existing Bell eSIM by visiting a Bell store. Be ready to provide you current eSIM phone number and the EID of the new Dual SIM device you are transferring to. (This can be found on the box or in the settings of the new Dual SIM Google Pixel by going to Settings > About phone > SIM status.)
If I have a data plan on both lines, which data plan will I use and therefore be billed for?
Both lines can support data plans
;however, you can only access one line’s data plan at a time. Therefore, you cannot access both data plans simultaneously.
- Your data usage will come out of the default data plan you selected in your Google Pixel’s Network & Internet settings. You can choose to toggle to your other line’s data plan within those settings at any time. For example, during work hours, you can use the data from your "Work" line, and after work you can switch to your "Personal" line. For details, please see the information from the Google support page.
Can I use data while on a call?
- Yes, but only one line can use data at a time.
- If you’re on a call using a line that was not set as the data preferred line, you won’t be able to access that line’s data while on a call unless you enable Data During Calls in your Network & Internet settings.
- You can also access Wi-Fi on either line regardless of which line you have selected.
- To learn more about changing your data preferred line, see the Google support page.
How will I be billed for voice and messaging?
- Voice and messaging are calculated according to the rate plan of the line used for each activity. With Dual SIM, you have the choice of which line to use for each call and text.
Can both lines be connected to the network at the same time?
- Yes, both lines are connected to the network at all times. However, when you are on a call on one line (e.g., Line 1), the other line (e.g., Line 2) automatically goes on standby mode. This means, if someone tries to call you on Line 2 when you are on a call on Line 1, you will not receive a call waiting notification for the incoming call. Instead, that call will be directed to your Line 2 voicemail.
- Please be mindful that this has implications for 9-1-1 calls. If you call 9-1-1 from Line 1, your phone then disconnects and you get another call on Line 2, you will not receive a notification when the 9-1-1 operator calls you back.
What happens when I roam?
- Just as you can choose which line to call, message or use data from while in Canada, you can do the same while you roam. Please note: you will receive your roaming notifications from Bell for both lines in the same message thread. It’s important to pay attention to the line indicator (Line 1 or Line 2) in the message thread so you can tell which line you are using for roaming, especially if you have different roaming features on each line.
Will E9-1-1 and T9-1-1 work on both lines?
- Both lines have the capability to dial 9-1-1. Where E9-1-1 is available, the caller’s number and approximate location will be provided, regardless of the line used.
- For T9-1-1, each line needs to be registered separately. Register for T9-1-1.