How to install Whole Home Wi-Fi pods
You can use the Bell Wi-Fi app to install your pods if you subscribe to the Whole Home Wi-Fi service from Bell and have a Home Hub 3000 or 2000. To do so:
- Best - Log in with your MyBell username and password. This gives you access to all features of the app and lets you log in without having to be connected to your home Wi-Fi network.
- Easiest - Automatically log in to the app when you are connected to your home Wi-Fi network. This will limit your access to features like setting Internet blocks or accessing user profiles
- The first time you log in to the app, select Install pods. Or, if you’ve used the app before, select Menu and then Set up new pods.
- Review the installation tips.
- Plug in the pods around your home. The empty hexagons indicate how many pods you can plug in.
- Keep your mobile device near your pods as you plug them in. The Bell Wi-Fi app will confirm when they are connected.
Follow these installation tips for best performance:
- Space the pods evenly
Your pods work as a team, so they need to be close enough to communicate with one another. Try to space them evenly, no more than 5 to 7 metres apart for Wi-Fi Pod Minis and 10 to 14 metres apart for Wi-Fi Pods.
- Install pods on interior walls
Ideally, place the pods along the interior walls separating the rooms rather than exterior walls. If you have both Wi-Fi Pod Minis and Wi-Fi Pods, use the Wi-Fi Pods in the centre of your home and spread the Wi-Fi Pod Minis outward to the furthest rooms. For best performance, check that your Wi-Fi Pods connect to the modem without connecting through a Wi-Fi Pod Mini first.
- Keep the pods in the open
Wi-Fi signals travel through the air and generally weaken over distance, but their strength can also be affected by:
- Building materials: Concrete or metal make it harder for the Wi-Fi signal to move freely, ultimately slowing down your Internet speed.
- Appliances: Certain appliances, like microwaves or even baby monitors, can interfere with the Wi-Fi signal, possibly slowing down your speed.
- Ventilation: Pods should not be covered by furniture or placed in an electrical cabinet, where they can overheat and impact performance.
- Wait 24 hours for best performance
Bell Whole Home Wi-Fi continuously optimizes your network based on when and where your devices access the Internet in your home. This helps ensure they always get the strongest signal. After installing pods, or any time you unplug them, it may take up to 24 hours for the pods to complete the optimization process.
Good to know:
- Your device may not always connect to the pod that is closest to it. The network will determine the best connection based on a variety of factors, such as interference and traffic.
- While Bell Whole Home Wi-Fi determines the best connection, sometimes devices need some help connecting. Turning your device’s Wi-Fi off and back on may solve performance issues.
- If your pods have a poor connection to the modem, try moving them to different locations to see if this improves performance.