Number portability lets you keep the same phone number when changing service providers. You can keep your phone number when switching from:
- One wireless service provider to another
- A wireless service to a home phone service
- One home phone service provider to another
- A home phone service to a wireless service
Note: don’t cancel your current service before you sign up for the new one, or your number will be considered inactive.
Can any number be transferred?
Not all numbers are transferable. For example, the following cannot be transferred:
- Inactive numbers
- Pager numbers
- Toll-free numbers
- Special * or # numbers
- Numbers from areas that do not support transfers of phone numbers
Check if your number is transferable or visit a Bell store to find out.
Can I keep my wireless number if I move to a different city?
You can keep your wireless number when moving to a new town or city in Canada.
Will I need to get a new mobile phone and rate plan when I transfer my number to Bell?
You’ll need a Bell Mobility rate plan and you can choose from our lineup of the latest mobile phones, or keep your current phone and select a bring-your-own-device (BYOD) plan.
Will my voicemail and other calling features keep working when I transfer my number to Bell?
No. Only the phone number gets transferred to Bell. Features you had with your previous service provider will be disconnected. When you transfer your phone number, ask about features that will let you make the most of your new service.
Can I transfer my number if I have a contract with my current service provider?
Yes, you can transfer your number at any time. Check the details of your current service to understand any charges you may be responsible for when you cancel, such as cancellation fees and outstanding balances
Is there a charge to transfer my number to Bell?
No, there are no additional fees to transfer your number to Bell, but you are responsible for any contractual obligation with your previous service provider.
How do I transfer my phone number to Bell?
To switch your wireless number over to Bell, please go to bell.ca/numbertransfer, visit a Bell store or call us at 1 800 667-0123.
Before starting the wireless number transfer, please ensure that:
- You have your old SIM card in a phone that is powered on and nearby, as you’ll be asked to verify your transfer request by text message (SMS).
- The number you intend to transfer is active (please do not cancel your account with your previous service provider, as it will be automatically cancelled once the number transfer is complete).
- You have the number that you wish to transfer to Bell, along with one of the following from your previous service provider: device IMEI, account number, PIN for account number.
How long does it take to transfer my number?
- Wireless number transfers can be completed within two hours of receiving your SIM and/or device.
- Home phone-to-wireless transfers take a minimum of two business days.
Can I keep my home phone number if I move to a different city?
Home phone numbers can only be transferred within the same local calling area.
How do I transfer my number to Bell?
To switch your home phone number over to Bell, call us at 1 866 310-2355. When you ask to transfer your number from another provider, we’ll request that your provider transfer your phone number if you:
- Confirm that you have the right to make the request
- Authorize Bell to share relevant information (which may include your personal information) with your existing service provider
- Complete and sign any required request form.
You are responsible for paying any fees your existing service provider may require, including any applicable cancellation charges.
How do I transfer my number from Bell?
To switch your Bell Home phone number to another provider, call us at 1 866 310-2355. Upon your request or at the request of your new service provider, Bell will:
- Cancel your service(s)
- Transfer your Home phone number to the new provider
Your account and phone number must be active, and you are responsible for all fees and taxes associated with the transfer from Bell, including any applicable cancellation charges.
Note: Bell is not responsible for any interruption, disruption or disconnection of any services or loss of any promotions associated with a transfer request. Before your new service provider cancels a Bell service on your behalf, it is your responsibility to review the impact cancellation may have on your eligibility for any discounts or promotions associated with any other Bell services. A transfer request does not include the transfer of any associated services (including voicemails) or Bell equipment.
How long does it take to transfer my number?
Wireless to home phone or home phone to home phone transfers take a minimum of two business days. You might also experience a disruption in service while it is being transferred, including disruptions to 9-1-1 service.