Plan Your Installation
Plan your inside wire installation by following these steps:
Determine your present and future needs. This will affect the choice of wire (2-, 3- or 4-pair twisted wire) that you will use. Bell recommends using a high-quality wire if you intend to install high-speed Internet.
Three-pair wire is the standard wire used by Bell for single-line installations. Three pairs of wire mean that you can easily add two additional telephone services (two separate numbers) in the future.
Decide where you want to install jacks to plug in phones or other equipment, such as modems, televisions or fax machines.
Keep in mind that each location should be:
- Easily accessible
- Protected from possible damage by normal activities or furniture
- Free from dampness (basement floors, exterior walls) or extreme heat
Determine the safest and easiest route to run the telephone wiring.
Have the following tools at hand
- Standard slot screwdriver
- Small Robertson screwdriver (green handle)
- Needle-nose pliers
- Wire cutting/stripping tool
- Stapler (rounded staple type)
Make sure you also include the right type of wire in your installation plans.