What is wireless number portability?
Wireless number portability lets you keep the same phone number when changing wireless service providers. You can keep your phone number when switching from:
- one wireless service provider to another;
- a home phone service to a wireless service;
- a wireless service to a home phone service.
Can any number be transferred?
Not all numbers are transferable. For example, the following cannot be transferred:
- Inactive numbers
- Pager numbers
- Toll-free numbers
- Special * or # numbers
- Numbers from areas that do not support transfers of phone numbers
Can I keep my phone number if I move to a different city?
You can keep your wireless number when moving to a new town or city in Canada. However, home phone numbers are exempt from this process.
Will I need to get a new mobile phone and rate plan when I transfer my number to Bell?
Options are available for a new device and plan, or simply a bring-your-own-device (BYOD) plan. Give us a call and we’ll be happy to discuss all options with you.
Will my voicemail and other calling features keep working when I transfer my number to Bell?
No. Only the phone number gets transferred to Bell. Features you had with your previous service provider will be disconnected. Ask about features that will let you make the most of your new phone during the transfer process.
Can I transfer my number if I have a contract with my current service provider?
Yes, you can transfer your number at any time. Check the details of your current service to understand any charges, such as cancellation fees and outstanding balances you may be responsible for when the service is cancelled.
Is there a charge to transfer my number to Bell?
No, there are no additional fees to transfer your number to Bell, but you are responsible for any contractual obligation with your previous service provider.
How do I transfer my phone number to Bell?
Before starting the wireless number transfer, please ensure that:
- You have your old SIM card in a phone that is powered on nearby, as it will be required to verify your transfer request via text message (SMS).
- The number you intend to transfer is active (please do not cancel your account with your previous service provider, as it will be automatically cancelled once the number transfer is complete).
- You have the number that you wish to transfer to Bell, along with one of the following from your previous service provider: device IMEI, account number, PIN for account number.
How long does it take to transfer my number?
- Wireless number transfers can be completed within two hours of receiving your SIM and/or device. A callback is required to facilitate the number transfer.
- Landline-to-wireless transfers take a minimum of two business days. A callback is required to facilitate the number transfer.