What can I do with my old mobile phone?
Can I recycle my old mobile phone through Bell?
You can return your old phone to Bell for recycling through the Bell Blue Box program. This program provides Canadians with an environmentally responsible way of disposing of their used mobile phones. Bell will donate net proceeds from the program to the Canadian Mental Health Association as part of the national Bell Let’s Talk mental health initiative. The Bell Blue Box program is part of the Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association’s Recycle My Cell program, which aims to minimize the amount of e-waste entering Canada’s landfills.
Where can I return my old phone?
You can return used mobile phones from all manufacturers to any Bell Store. You can also return accessories, batteries and smartphones
Can I ship my old phone to Bell?
You can send your old mobile phone, batteries and accessories by Canada Post free of charge.
- Wrap your phone, accessories and/or batteries in protective material like newspaper.
- Place them in a box and seal it firmly with packing tape.
- Print the label, cut it out and affix it to your package with clear tape. Make sure that the barcode does not wrap around edges or corners. Do not cover up any information on the label.
- Drop the box off at any Canada Post mailbox or postal outlet.
What should I do before I return my old phone?
Before you mail or drop off your mobile phone for recycling, please:
- Cancel your mobile service and pay your final bill in full
- Remove the SIM card (if there is one)
To help us protect your personal information, you are encouraged to erase any personal information from your device, including text messages, contacts and personal files. You can use the free Cell Phone Data Eraser by Recycle My Cell to help clear your data. You can also recycle headsets, chargers and batteries. Simply include any accessories with the phone.
You can also recycle headsets, chargers and batteries. Simply include any accessories with the phone.
Please note: phones and accessories cannot be reclaimed once donated to the Bell Blue Box program.
What will Bell do with the donated phones?
First, all data is deleted from donated phones. About half of the phones can then be refurbished and reused. The remaining phones are recycled in Canada in compliance with Canadian regulations. Bell donates net proceeds from the Blue Box program to the Canadian Mental Health Association as part of the national Bell Let’s Talk mental health initiative.
How does returning my phone help the environment?
Bell recovered 127,500 mobile phones in 2010, for a total of more than 879,000 phones recovered since 2003. The program has also collected 90 metric tonnes of batteries and accessories for recycling.
The environmental value of the Bell Blue Box program has been recognized by the Retail Council of Canada and Les Phénix de l’environnement.
- How to transfer data from my old BlackBerry to my BlackBerry Z10 using BlackBerry Link
- How to block or unblock my mobile phone number when making an outgoing call
- How to change my mobile phone number
- How to use Call Forwarding on my mobile phone?
- How do I know if I'm eligible to upgrade my mobile phone or smartphone?
- How to use Message Centre voicemail
- What do I need to know about coverage and rates while travelling to the U.S.?
- How to change ownership of my mobile phone
- How to top up the funds in my prepaid phone account