You can now update your BlackBerry operating system using the Bell Mobility network or a Wi-Fi connection. You don’t need to use a computer or visit a service centre.
- Use a Wi-Fi connection to avoid data usage charges. If you update over the Bell Mobility network, you will consume data from your data plan.
- If you have a “BlackBerry only” plan, you cannot perform wireless updates unless the smartphone is connected to Wi-Fi.
- Please update on a full battery charge. Do not turn off your phone or remove the battery. Interrupting the update can damage the phone.
- Business phones using BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES) may not be able to update wirelessly. Please contact your company’s IT department for help.
- There are different update instructions depending on the current version of your BlackBerry operating system (version 4, 5, 6 or 7). To check your version, select Options > About on your BlackBerry.
To update the software on a BlackBerry OS 6 or 7 smartphone:
- From the main menu, select Options.
- Select Device.
- Select Software Updates
- The BlackBerry will check for updates. If an update is available, you will be prompted to continue. Follow the on-screen instructions to update your BlackBerry operating system.
To update the software on a BlackBerry OS 4.0 or 5.0 smartphone:
- From the main screen, select the Options icon.
- Select Advanced Options.
- Select Wireless Update.
- Select Next.
- Select Check for Updates. If an update is available, it will appear on the screen.
- Select the available update to proceed.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to update your BlackBerry operating system.