Before you begin the update:
- Check to see if an update is available.
Select Menu, flick left to the App list, and then select Settings > Phone update. To make sure you're automatically notified in the future, select the checkbox for Notify me when new updates are found. When a new update is available, a pop-up notification will appear on your phone.
- Install Zune on your PC or Windows Phone 7 Connector on your Mac. You'll need one of these programs to complete the update.
- Make sure your phone's battery is fully charged. You can speed up charging by using the wall charger that came with the phone.
- Make sure your computer has a reliable Internet connection. If you’re using a wireless (Wi-Fi) connection, we recommend switching to a wired (Ethernet) connection.
To update the software on a Windows Phone 7 smartphone
- Connect your phone to your computer using the USB cable that came with the phone. Make sure the phone is connected throughout the update process.
- The Zune or Windows Phone 7 Connector software will automatically attempt to back up your phone data to your computer before proceeding with the software installation. You'll see the progress in the status bar.
- Once the backup finishes, you can install the software update on your phone. Once the installation begins, it cannot be interrupted. If you're using Zune, click Update Now. If you're using Windows Phone 7 Connector, click Install Updates. Follow the on-screen instructions.
If Zune doesn't start the update automatically, you can start it by selecting Settings > Phone > Update