Where can I use my EVDO/1xRTT mobile phone outside Canada and how much will it cost?
A variety of EVDO/1xRTT mobile phones and smartphones can be used for roaming.
EVDO/1xRTT world phones
The following world phones offer roaming in over 200 countries:
- Motorola A840
- Samsung Ace World Edition
- BlackBerry 8830 World Edition
- BlackBerry Storm 9530
- BlackBerry Storm2 9550
- BlackBerry Style 9670
- BlackBerry Tour 9630
Other EVDO/1xRTT phones
If your EVDO/1xRTT phone isn’t listed above, it can only roam in the following countries, and the following rates apply:
|Country||Voice (per minute; all calls)||Text messages (per outgoing message)||Data|
|China||$2.99||$0.75||$0.025 (per KB)|
|Mexico||$2.99||$0.75||$0.025 (per KB)|
|Puerto Rico||$1.45||$0.75||$6.00 (per MB)|
|U.S. Virgin Islands||$1.45||$0.75||$6.00 (per MB)|
|United States||$1.45||$0.75||$6.00 (per MB)|
If you have an HSPA+ or LTE phone, please check the HSPA+/LTE tool.
Before you go
- Using the details above, verify that roaming is available at your destination and check the corresponding rates. You can also view our U.S. EVDO/1xRTT coverage map (PDF).
- Contact us to ensure roaming and international calling are activated on your account.
- Don’t forget to bring your charger and electrical adapter.
- Turn on your phone’s screen lock to prevent accidental or unauthorized use. While it’s locked, you can still dial 9-1-1 if needed. For screen locking instructions, refer to the user guide or tutorial in our device support section.
- To contact us while travelling, you can call us free of charge from your mobile phone. We’re available 24/7.
- From the United States: 1 800 667-7626
- From other locations: +1 514 420-7748 (the “+” represents the international dialling code)
- If your phone or SIM card is lost or stolen, report it immediately by calling one of the numbers above to avoid being held responsible for fraudulent charges.
- Roaming is not available on Prepaid plans.
While you’re there
Making a call:
To make an international call while roaming on an EVDO/1xRTT network, you’ll need to enter an international dialing code before the phone number you are calling:
- From the U.S. and most of the Caribbean: dial 011 followed by the phone number (e.g., Barbados to Paris: 011 33 1 XX XX XX XX)
- From China and Mexico: dial 00 followed by the phone number (e.g., Mexico to Paris: 00 33 1 XX XX XX XX)
- Call your own phone number as if you were placing an international call to Canada (roaming charges apply).
- Once you hear your greeting, press #.
- Enter your voicemail password.
Sending a text message:
On an EVDO/1xRTT network, you can send a text message the same way you would at home.
Using data, email and connecting to the Internet:
Data roaming charges can add up quickly. We recommend that you do not use data-intensive applications such as web surfing, video streaming or downloading large email attachments while outside of Canada.
To reduce roaming costs on EVDO/1xRTT phones, contact us for information or sign up for a U.S. travel bundle.
Contacting Bell while abroad:
For help and information when travelling abroad, you can call us free of charge using these methods:
- From a Bell mobile phone: +1 514 420-7748
- From a landline phone in the United States: 1 800 667-7626
- From a landline phone in 21 countries: +800 328-2123-3
Note: the "+" represents the international dialling code.
Alternatively, visit our contact us section for more options.
Reporting a lost/stolen phone:
If your phone or SIM card is lost or stolen while you’re travelling, report it immediately by calling one of the numbers above to avoid being held responsible for fraudulent charges.
- Travel with an HSPA+ or LTE Bell Mobility phone internationally - how much will it cost?
- What do I need to know about coverage and rates while travelling overseas?
- What do I need to know about coverage and rates while travelling to the U.S.?
- What are EVDO and 1XRTT?
- How to reduce data charges on my smartphone when travelling out of the country
- What is HSPA or HSPA+ (4G)?
- Bell network coverage in Canada
- What are Bell Mobility’s long distance rates?
- How to turn data roaming and data services on/off on my Samsung Galaxy S III
- How to turn data services and data roaming on/off on my Samsung Galaxy S II 4G