Important note: The wireless light on the 2Wire modem will turn on only when you are successfully connected to it via wireless connection. The 6300 and 6520 models will always have the wireless light on when the wireless feature is enabled on the modem.
Note: Before configuring your Macintosh, ensure the AirPort is active. Please follow these simple steps to make sure the AirPort is enabled.
1. Click on the wireless icon in the top menu bar.
2. Click on Turn AirPort On
Note: If the wireless icon is not in the top menu bar, follow these steps and make sure you add a check mark beside Show AirPort status in menu bar to make it easier to troubleshoot.
1. Double-click on the icon of your Macintosh hard disk drive
2. Click on Application
3. Click on Internet Connect
4. Select AirPortin the top menu bar
5. Click on Turn AirPort On
The Mac AirPort is now active; you are ready to configure the Macintosh for Wireless connectivity.
The following steps will show you how to configure AirPort.
1. Click on the Apple Menu | System Preferences
2. Click on Network
Note: If AirPort is not shown, please select Network Port Configurations in the Show menu and make sure Airport has a check mark next to it.
3. Select New Location in the Location menu
4. Name the connection Sympatico Wireless
5. Select AirPortin the Show menu
6. Click on the AirPort tab
7. Select Automatic next to the By default, join: menu
8. Click on the TCP/IP tab
9. Select Using DHCP in the Configure IPv4 menu
10. Click on the PPPoE tab
11. Make sure nothing is checked under this tab
12. Click on Apply Now
13. Close Network Preference
14. Click on the Wireless icon in the top menu bar
Note: In this menu you will be able to see all available wireless networks that the AirPort can see.
15. Select the name of your desired wireless network from the list (in this example, we are using BELL365).
16. Select the Encryption Type configured in the modem: WEP Password or WPA Personal
17. Enter the Encryption key in the Password field
Note: If you have a problem entering the encryption key, please put a check mark beside Show password. This will allow you to see the characters you are typing.
Find out how to set up your encryption key and learn more about wireless security.
18. Click on OK
19. To see whether you are connected, please click on the wireless icon in the top menu bar
20. Click on Open Internet Connect
21. Verify that the status of the connection is Connected