How to protect yourself from telecom fraud
Many types of telecom fraud exist, including:
- Stolen or lost handsets/equipment
- Mobile phone scams
- Internet and email scams
- Landline phone scams
- Identity theft and fraud
Top tips to protect yourself:
- Be careful when sharing personal information. Be wary of imposters who might contact you in various ways (phone, email, etc.) to collect personal information, credit card numbers, PINs and other details.
NOTE: Bell will NEVER contact you to ask for this information. To make sure you’re dealing with Bell, you can always contact us directly.
- Never share your PINs and passwords. Use complex passwords that are hard to guess, and change them frequently.
- Be wary of unsolicited offers, contests and investment opportunities. Always read the fine print.
- Don’t open unsolicited email messages and don’t click on links unless you trust the source.
- Keep your computer’s operating system and firewall up to date. Be wary when downloading software, apps and files onto your computer or mobile phone.